Fannin Counseling & Art Therapy Announce a Call for Artists
For Shadow Photo
Exhibition Opening Friday, May 11, 2018
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 1, 2018 (closed)
La Crosse, WI – Fannin Counseling & Art Therapy (129 6th St S, La Crosse, across from the Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman) will be hosting a portrait and mixed media art exhibition, entitled Shadow Photo, to debut Friday, May 11, 2018, and run through July 6, 2018.
Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. – Carl Jung
Shadow Photo is a collaboration between photographer and individual, inviting artists to participate in a process that is part portrait photography, part exploration of personal perception of the shadow self.
- Shadow: Participants will be given a task to explore their shadow self: who and what they are that the rest of the world does not or cannot see. Artists will be provided a 10x10 panel to explore their shadow side through whichever medium they choose (paint, draw, written word, multimedia, photography, mixed media–no limits!).
- Photo: Participants will sit for a portrait photo, to be displayed alongside the shadow panel, exemplifying their light side. Artists will coordinate a time to sit for a photo with Fannin Counseling (see dates/times below).
Criteria For Submission
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older
- Able to drop off and pick up work
- Attend portrait session on one of the following dates:
- Wednesday April 11 | 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Thursday April 12 | 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Saturday April 14 | 11 – 2 pm
- Complete application form by April 1, 2018
- Artwork must utilize original 10x10 panel that is provided
- Artwork must be ready to hang
- Participants will not be allowed to view the portrait photo until the exhibition opening on May 11.
Selection Process & Notification:
Applicants will be considered based on digital submission of previous work (2-3 pieces) AND/OR a written description (max. 250 words) of concept and process, with emphasis on thematic elements, of work to be submitted for this exhibition.
Applicants will receive notice by Thursday, April 5, 2018, and chosen artists will receive a money request via email for a $10 application fee, to be used for the 10 x 10 panel and advertising for the show.
- By completing an application and submitting an entry to Shadow Photo, applicants give the exhibitors the right to publish images of artist and artwork for publicity purposes; exhibitors may ask select artists to provide higher resolution jpegs suitable for publishing.
- Artists are responsible for delivering ready-to-hang artwork on May 4-5, 2018, in downtown La Crosse, WI.
- Artists are responsible for picking up their work between July 7-9, 2018
- Fannin Counseling & Art Therapy manages all artwork sales and retains a 20% fee on all sold artwork.
- Sold artwork will remain in the exhibition until the closing date.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Dylan Overhouse